Around 1240, the little hill that is still the centre of Woltersdorf was home to Slavic farmers. The first church was built in 1555, five years after the first lock had been erected between the two lakes Flakensee and Kalksee. The towns and villages around nearby Berlin grew steadily in the 19th century: Many families from Berlin had weekend homes in Woltersdorf. The setting with the lake was used as a backdrop for films such as ‘The Tiger of Eschnapur’ (1937).
The neo-Gothic style St Michael’s Church as inaugurated in 1857. The church building that was badly damaged in World War II was gradually refurbished over the decades thereafter. The altar crucifix is from the Benedictine Monastery Maria Laach. In the graveyard there is the grave of the painter Hugo Höppner, who was known as Fidus and lived in Woltersdorf from 1907 until his death in 1948.