Finally get moving again together, breathe nature, go swimming, eat ice cream and discover new things on the side - on this late-riser tour, little adventurers and families get their money's worth even later in the day.
Your highlights on the water:
Your highlights on the water:
- Short journey: with the RE1 from Ostkreuz in just 20 minutes into nature and to Grünheide, east of Berlin
- Enchanted: immerse yourself in the wild and romantic atmosphere of the Löcknitz river
- Diverse: hiking, river adventures, swimming, playgrounds, feasting
- Chill relaxed on the uncrowded beach
Start and finish: Fangschleuse station
Length: 7 km / 2 - 2.5 hours
Getting there by public transport: RE1 to Fangschleuse station
Departure public transport: RE1 from Fangschleuse station
Start on the Löcknitz path
After the RE1 has brought you out of town quickly, you can go straight into nature. Only a few hundred meters separate you from the entrance to the idyllic Löcknitz Valley. Before you go directly to the Werlsee, you first follow the 66-Seenweg, which runs parallel to the meandering Alte Löcknitz. The forest smells wonderful and in some places you come very close to the enchanted little river. The narrow forest and meadow path, lots of ferns, fallen trees and the many plants in the clear water create a feeling of adventure. Maybe you can spot beaver tracks or even the kingfisher.
After around 45 minutes you will reach Gottesbrück. Canoes are rented at Funny's boat rental (Kanus vermietet) and there is a refreshment or an ice cream on the weekends. You cross the Löcknitz and it goes through the district Fangschleuse towards Werlsee. There is a relaxed calm. The Love Island greets you from across the street and you can watch the goings on on the water from the jetties.
The next highlight is already waiting for you. On the south beach of the Werlsee you will find the ideal bathing place. There is a great sandy beach surrounded by a spruce forest. In addition to sunny spots, the place also offers enough shade on hot days. Two small playgrounds in the sand, where the kids can climb and run around, provide variety.
Delicious food, chill and play
Before you quench your hunger and thirst, climb quickly up to the Kellerberg. From the church you have a beautiful view of the Werlsee. At Heydewirth you can check into the idyllic beer garden. Located directly on the Peetzsee, you can fortify yourself as you please, including regional cuisine. There is something to discover in the multi-generation park right next to it. The herb garden can be explored with your own palate, you can try out various sports and play equipment or you can just chill in the beach chairs - almost like on vacation. If you take a short loop through the town, you will pass the ice cream parlor "Eiszauber" on Friedrich-Engels-Straße and, in addition to the usual classics, you can also try extravagant cucumber ice cream and waffles made by us.
Stop by the Grünheider heraldic animal
Your tour is slowly coming to an end. Before you take the train back to the big city, you should make a short stop at the Löcknitzcampus. Here you can observe the Grünheid heraldic animal - the pond turtle - in an enclosure. The endangered animal, which once lived in large numbers in the Löcknitztal and Werlsee, is bred and cared for here. Fun fact: the approx. 20 cm tall animals even live to be 100-120 years old!
Plan your late riser family tour to Grünheide now!
Extra family tips:
- Playgrounds: Small playground directly at the Südufer Werlsee bathing area, climbing spider on the Ernst-Thälmann-Str. / At the Eichbrand south of the Werlsee; Multi-generation community park on the Peetzsee with sports and play equipment next to the Heydewirth
- Boat rental from Funny´s (only canoes) and from boat rental Grünheide (Bootsverleih Grünheide) am Peetzsee (also rowing and pedal boats)
- Climbing park on the north beach (Nordstrand) in Werlsee
- Don't forget sunscreen and mosquito repellants!
- The Fangschleuse train station belongs to Berlin tariff area C. You can get there and back for inexpensive € 3.80 (normal) or € 2.70 (reduced)!
Grünheide: Funny´s (Fri-Sun), Heydewirt am Peetzsee, Il Borgo, ice cream parlor Eiszauber, Greek restaurant Dionysos at the train station.