An information panel at the fountain in front of the town hall in Calau informs visitors about the town’s historic water pipes from the 14th and 15th century. Water for the town's residents was routed through wooden pipes to a total of eight basins known as ‘Röhrkasten’. The fountain is one of these.
The well and other places across town are home to a little bronze figure of an impish-looking boy. The town hall, where the town administration is based, is a two-storey red brick building. It was built in the 1870s in the neo-renaissance style, and re-built between 1946 and 1948 after it had been destroyed in a fire in World War II. At its entrance there is a letter box for jokes. A similar box can be found at the information point. Local residents and guests are asked to write down their favourite jokes and put the notes in the boxes. Alternating exhibitions by regional artists are on display at the town hall gallery.