The ‘pyramid’ that is about 13 metres tall is a landmark of the park that was created by the landscape architect Hermann Prince von Pueckler-Muskau (1785-1871). It was built in a green field within just a few months in 1856, and completed in 1863 when wild vine was planted on the pyramid.
In 1871, the lake pyramid became the Prince’s burial place. The remains of Princess Lucie von Pueckler-Muskau (1776-1854) were relocated from the old village cemetery in Branitz to the pyramid in 1884, Both of them are now buried in a tunnel on the north-eastern side of the pyramid that has meanwhile been filled with soil. The pyramid in the lake is eye-catching at any time of year. It is particularly attractive in autumn, when the wild vine leaves turn red and form a beautiful contrast to the blue lake.