The St John’s Church is the most dominant landmark of Lychen. It was built on the highest point of the historic town centre and it characterises the townscape to this day. The church was built in east-west direction, which used to be customary. To the east, there is the presbytery with the altar, and in the west there is the belfry. Until 1763, St John's Church was surrounded by a churchyard and cemetery that was bigger than the current church square. The church features an impressive granite hall with baroque fittings.