Part of the 13th century town wall with powder tower, which was once 2.7 kilometres long, can still be found along the "am Pulverturm" lane. All that is left is the pedestal made of field stones – everything above it is built from bricks. As the town expanded, the wall (except for a few remnants) and the four town gates disappeared. The powder tower has survived. It is 21 metres high and extends 3.50 metres into the ground. Storks have been nesting on the tip of its spire since 1850.