The building was constructed in the 1880s as a storehouse for a tobacco company. After 1902 it was used by the Uckermärkische Tabakverwertungsgenossenschaft, a cooperative that sought to revive the tradition of growing tobacco in the region, which was already in decline at the time. In 1998 the Kunstverein Schwedt e.V. art association opened the "Galerie am Kietz" in the building. Changing exhibitions, the pre-Christmas arts and crafts market and the International 'Landschaftspleinair' exhibition are among the recurring events.