The so-called Lepsius-Haus in Große Weinmeisterstrasse in Potsdam was built as the wine master’s house for Frederick II’s valet, Johann Gottfried Zeising, who managed a vineyard of over 14 acres here from 1772 onwards. The oldest part of the building is probably the barrel-vaulted cellar. Around 1800, the first extensions were built to create a single-storey residential building with a half-hipped roof. The core of this is preserved to this day. In the first half of the 19th century several extensions were built, followed by conversions and demolition of the outbuildings. The northern gable of the house was extended to include a two-storey annex, a veranda and a pergola, and the facade was richly adorned. The latter was partly removed in the 1930s. Lepsius House is a striking visual element within the park ensemble and residential estate on Pfingstberg Hill. The park at Große Weinmeisterstrasse 41-45, laid out in 1872 by Gustav Meyer for the banker Henkel, is an outstanding work of garden art, further enhancing the overall image of the Potsdam park landscape in the period after Frederick William IV and Peter Joseph Lenné. The house was named after Dr. Johannes Lepsius, a Protestant theologian who lived there from 1907 to 1925 and dedicated his life’s work to saving the Armenian population in Turkey, Iran, the Balkans, Syria and Lebanon. Since 2004 the Deutsche Stiftung Denkmalschutz (German Foundation for Monument Preservation) has been involved in restoring the roof and facade of Lepsius House.